Many thanks to the many helpful responders !!

Too many for me to thank individually ...

* * *
* * *

Here is what I have digested and decided, based on GTALUG advivce received:

1. Thanks for the multiple offers to burn & ship DVDs and / or other media.

2. I'll accept the USB device advice, and use a USB device for the installation

3. I already own two (2) WD 1 TB USB drives, acquired for taking hard disk
backups of the new PC. So I'll try using one of those for the debian Linux
(LXDE) installation device.

4. My friend has a Windows 10 setup with high speed Internet connection so I'll
see if he and I can get all three installation DVD images onto that USB drive.
We can't use any Linux utilities while doing that, unfortunately. Then I'll try
the Linux install from that USB drive.

5. Thanks also for the cautionary advice re: dial-up modem on Linux. I did some
research earlier, but of course the proof will be in the actual attempt to use
the modem :) I do plan to upgrade to a faster (and dedicated) Internet link !!
Just wanted to try first with the dial-up modem. Trying to simplify my life by
postponing the networking upgrade. And also out of plain perverse curiosity,
more than anything else.

* * *
* * *

Thanks again to GTALUG members for all the advice. Makes this whole shift from
Windows XP to debian Linux soooo much more comfortable. No doubt I'll be back
in touch again at some point, during the build adventure... :)