On 09/17/2018 09:07 AM, Howard Gibson via talk wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 13:50:14 -0400
James Knott via talk <talk@gtalug.org> wrote:

On 09/16/2018 01:45 PM, David Collier-Brown via talk wrote:
What's a good approach? I have considered

Many people use separate routers, as they're not happy with the Rogers
hardware.  I run pfSense on a refurb computer.  All you have to do is
put the modem in bridge mode and connect your router.  Also, you may
want to get something other than a Cisco modem.  Rogers doesn't support
IPv6 on them.  I have a Hitron modem in bridge mode.
    My DSL modem has a firewall feature that my vendor recommends not using.  I
have a wireless router that serves as my firewall, and I have a long security
key.  I am so glad I took typing in high school.

Take a  look at the TR-069 standard.
It allows a service provider to remotely manage and control the device at the customer location. This can be a great thing if you have unsophisticated customers who need help but it does mean that you have complete control over their security and can do what you like with their device.

I would suggest that if your concerned about external hacks or access get a device that has the TR-069 removed or disabled.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
al...@netvel.net              ||