On 1/16/20 2:13 PM, David Thornton via talk wrote:
It it possible that an advertisement can "know" the page it was deployed in?

Or even just some properties of the page it was displayed in?

Via this means an advertiser could know you had just , or were about to buy X.

From there, the world is your oyster.

David
True.
But the ordering is from within the amazon application for fulfillment by amazon. I had 1 order that was fulfilled by the vendor and that one did not generate a phishing email.

Also these are not advertisers sending me spam to buy the latest LG TV or some-such.

This is phishing hoping to infect my system and own it or make it part of a botnet.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 3:50 PM Alvin Starr via talk <talk@gtalug.org <mailto:talk@gtalug.org>> wrote:

    On 1/15/20 3:46 PM, Peter King via talk wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 03:00:36PM -0500, Alvin Starr via talk
    wrote:

    >> When I order something from Amazon  not long after I get emails
    from various
    >> phisherpeople claiming to be UPS or some other delivery company.
    >> The messages are coming through an old email address that is
    badly spam
    >> filtered.
    > I had that very thing happen to me on an order from Amazon about
    ten days
    > ago.  The phishing was via a note from UPS that they couldn't
    deliver a
    > package, but to get it I had to give them my credit card number
    ... at the
    > time I was surprised, since it followed close on the heels of
    one delivery
    > and right while I was waiting for another.  So, almost
    plausible.  But as
    > usual, the phishing email was so clumsily written and executed
    that there
    > was no question but that it was a fake.

    Yep that's it.
    Here is what I got.

    > Dear Customer,
    >
    > We attempted to deliver your item at 1:30pm on 14th January, 2020.
    > (Read enclosed file details)
    > The delivery attempt failed because nobody was present at the
    shipping
    > address, so this notification has been automatically sent.
    >

    > If the parcel is not scheduled for re-delivery or picked up
    within 72
    > hours, it will be returned to the sender.
    >
    > Label Number: (Read enclosed file details)
    > Class: Package Services
    > Service(s): (Read enclosed file details)
    >
    > Read the enclosed file for details.
    >
    > UPS Customer Service.

-- Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
    Netvel Inc.                   ||   Cell:  (416)806-0133
    al...@netvel.net <mailto:al...@netvel.net>              ||

    ---
    Post to this mailing list talk@gtalug.org <mailto:talk@gtalug.org>
    Unsubscribe from this mailing list
    https://gtalug.org/mailman/listinfo/talk

--
David Thornton
https://wiki.quadratic.net

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
al...@netvel.net              ||