I am hoping someone has seen this kind of problem before and knows of a solution. I have a client who has file systems filled with lots of small files on the orders of hundreds of millions of files. Running something like a find on filesystem takes the better part of a week so any kind of directory walking backup tool will take even longer to run. The actual data-size for 100M files is on the order of 15TB so there is a lot of data to backup but the data only increases on the order of tens to hundreds of MB a day.

Even things like xfsdump take a long time.
For example I tried xfsdump on a 50M file set and it took over 2 days to complete.

The only thing that seems to be workable is Veeam.
It will run an incremental volume snapshot in a few hours a night but I dislike adding proprietary kernel modules into the systems.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
al...@netvel.net              ||