On 2021-11-07 04:54, Jim Ruxton via talk wrote:
... Clicking on the script works. I still find it
strange however that this is not the case if I run the script on the command line. It runs regardless.

This may be very out of date information, but I remember being surprised that a whole lot of Linux sound stuff depended on the X11 DISPLAY variable being set. Maybe it's not set for you on the command line?

 Stewart

(talking of Linux sound, have folks seen Orca — https://hundredrabbits.itch.io/orca ? No, not the screen reader, but Orca "... an esoteric programming language, designed to create procedural sequencers in which each letter of the alphabet is an operation, where lowercase letters operate on bang, uppercase letters operate each frame." It's been described as nethack crossbred with a spreadsheet for making EDM.