On 2022-06-11 18:09, William Park via talk wrote:
I have a directory tree, created from "make install DESTDIR=...".  Now, I want to make RPM package from the tree.  Online docs are too verbose and confusing.
[snip]
I use "netpipes-4.2" a lot.  Debian and Slackware have it, but Redhat variants don't.
[snip]
So, I downloaded the source, compiled it, and installed to a directory. Now what?

I used to build and update .rpm packages back when I was using a distro that used RPM for package management. If you aren't creating your own package from scratch the simplest approach is to download and use the .src.rpm file for the package you want to update. You can modify the .spec file with the name of the newer source code file.

You will also want a .rpmmacros file which sets the packager name, the build directory, and the temporary directory that will be used by rpmbuild.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                    | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick