On 2022-12-11 15:45, William Park via talk wrote:
Now that you found a solution, I have question...

Why hardware card?  I assume it's Linux.  And, I found software raid (mdadm or btrfs) good enough for mirror setup.

A raid card can offload some of the overhead that the OS would have to deal with in terms of co-ordination of  multiple writes. In the case of raid-1 the extra overhead of multiple writes should be minimal but for raid-4 and above there are a number of data manipulations that need to be preformed and these will burn up CPU cycles.

Raid cards often include a battery backed up cache which can significantly improve disk performance. The cache also helps with an issue called "write-hole" which can happen in raid-4,5,6 ( For those with trouble sleeping I suggest https://lwn.net/Articles/665299/ ).

Otherwise I do not believe that raid cards have any features that are unavailable in Linux using the md tools.

Once again if your running raid of any type make sure you have an automated check that will test the array health and send out a warning if there is a problem.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
al...@netvel.net              ||