On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 23:55 Stewart Russell via talk <talk@gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Fri., Apr. 21, 2023, 14:13 BCLUG via talk, <talk@gtalug.org> wrote:
>

>> I never, ever use fgrep or egrep and I think it's a bad idea.
>>

> Well, that's me told. I've used fgrep since the days when regular grep on
> a large file would take minutes, while fgrep would take seconds. I also
> learned egrep's slightly weird syntax at the same time. This was before
> PCRE was a thing. Before long-form options were a thing, too
>
> Deprecation of free software is so pointless. To break scripts for some
> imagined purity is flat-out daft.

I don’t know why you think so. There is a real cost to maintaining
software. Who is going to keep track of security issues? What about changes
to libraries you are linking to? Unless you are stepping up to maintain the
software, I think deprecating software is not only fine but necessary to
maintain security and quality.

Thanks
Dhaval