On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 03:16:39PM -0400, Nicholas Krause wrote:
> Yes, Hugh will run into problems then of getting that speed. The JEDEC
> default profile is 2400mhz
> from memory. Not sure how locked the Bios on his Thinkpad is. It seems that
> lots of people are
> reporting XMP enabling not being possible. I don't know why they would lock
> that considering
> RAM Speeds needing XMP for the full speed, for the last decade or so.

A thinkcentre is a business desktop system.  XMP is for gamers.
Business systems don't allow things that could make the system unstable.

> Not to mention AMD chips like faster RAM up to 3200mhz from memory. There are
> suppose to be
> performance differences there as well. This seems like a very bad
> manufacturer decision if
> this is occurring with Lenovo Laptops.

It is not a laptop.

> Hugh, are you just using the ram for web browsing or multitasking? If that's
> the case I don't
> think the 800mhz bulk is going to be a big deal. It's up to you but Ryzen
> only wants faster
> ram when I checked for applications like databases, GPU programming e.t.c. So
> if your fine
> with the lower speed and I'm assuming that's the use case it should be
> alright.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/lenovo/thinkcentre-m75s-gen-2#memory
would certainly work.  It is listed as compatible, it is 3200 DDR4,
it is 1.2V.  No silly XMP profiles involved.  So such memory does exist,
but it is not very common.  Most ram just ups the voltage using XMP
profiles to get the higher speeds.  You need really good chips to run
3200 at 1.2V.

--
Len Sorensen