| From: James Knott via talk <talk@gtalug.org>

| My first calculator was a Rapidman 800, which sold for about $100 at Eaton's,
| IIRC.

<https://museum.eecs.yorku.ca/items/show/28>
Interesting vignette:
<https://museum.eecs.yorku.ca/items/show/28>

I remember seeing the initial ad campaign.  A big price drop from other
calculators.  But it only had 4 functions.  I had been given a scientific
calculator by then, if I remember correctly.  Oddity: floating point but
no scientific notation -- crazy.

| BTW, as I mentioned the other day, I still have a slide rule from my high
| school days.  It's a Pickett Microline 120 and it still works 56 years later!
| By the time I got to Ryerson, I was using a calculator.

<https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1214517>

Pickett was a good brand.  I really didn't like plastic slide rules
because they were jerky to operate: stiction.

Some fancy Pickets were supposedly made from magnesium to avoid this
<https://utsic.utoronto.ca/wpm_instrument/pickett-ortho-phase-log-log-slide-rule-model-number-500/>

I liked Sun Hemmi slide rules because they were made of bamboo.  I still
have one somewhere.  Or maybe two.
<http://www.sliderule.ca/hemmi.htm>