Getting back to original thread... There are programs to test memory, cpu, and disk, because you have control of data, and can compare against expected data.

However, you can't easily test serial, parallel, USB, network, and other I/Os, because you can't easily control both side of connection. People just try it, and if it works, then it works. Eg. Network -- Just try it, and if "google.com" gives you expected webpage, then it works. Eg. USB -- Plug in a known usb stick or device, and if it works, then it works.

On 2023-07-11 18:05, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
Hi folks,
What I am seeking is an open source program that tests aspects of say your motherboard.  that the serial ports or parallel ports work, that the USB ports are sound etc. I am asking  because due to an as of yet not fixed hydro problem in my new apartment, the occasional power surges, even with machines attached to protectors, are causing slight damage to hardware.
Need to know how much as I only have so many computers I can use.
Any program ideas?
Will be sharing suggestions with someone hopefully helping me troubleshoot.
Thanks,
Karen