On 2023-07-25 14:45, BCLUG via talk wrote:
mwilson--- via talk wrote on 2023-07-25 11:18:

what do other people use and like?

KDE Plasma.

+1 on KDE Plasma Wayland

I have to echo my support of all the KDE Connect features.

But for me, the real wins are all the massive quality of life around mixed monitor + docking station situations. This typically had massive draw backs and caveats under X11, that 'just work' correctly under KDE's wayland implementation.

My daily driver is a GPD Pocket 3 [1], a high-performance 11th Gen Intel system, in an 8" form factor.

For context, the GPD Pocket 3, has a 1200x1920 panel (portrait) installed at a 90° rotation. Sensor based Auto-rotation from the laptop's sensor works out of the box under KDE wayland implementation.

Current X11 doesn't handle per display output UI scaling, so all displays get scaled equally. The GPD's screen is best used at 150% UI Scaling for me, so having extended monitors also scaled at 150% is just aweful. KDE Wayland doesn't suffer from this and does per-display scaling.

Additionally I have some high-rez external 8" screens [2] (that also need their own independent UI scaling), with touch input. Touch Screen Assignment also work well from the KDE System Settings GUI. No fiddling with xinput commands or xorg.conf snippets.

System Settings => Input Devices => Touchscreen

Just select 'Device' and 'Target Display', and your done. The association is remembered through re-connections of the display.

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GPD_Pocket_3
[2]: https://www.waveshare.com/8inch-1536x2048-lcd.htm

--
Scott Sullivan