On 2023-08-04 09:58, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
Recent Fedora systems' SSH client won't access CentOS 6 servers.

        Unable to negotiate with x.y.z.w port 22: no matching host key type
        found. Their offer: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss

(One should not still be running CentOS 6!)

All my workstations run recent Fedora systems.  How could I access this
server?

I ran intothis also.
I have a client who has a bunch of Centos5 systems.
There are also some switches that have issues requiring magical configs.

An example is:

Host    exapmple
        Hostname 11.22.33.44
        port 9922
        PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes=ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
        IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa
        HostkeyAlgorithms ssh-rsa
        user root

I believe RHEL9 and possibly 8 have tightened up the ssh requirements also but I can't verify this offhand now.

DSS is considered compromised so its not being accepted as a protocol.
The older systems also do not accept the newer formats like id_ed25519 so if you have some public/private keys in that format you will need to force ssh to only use the rsa public key.

I have some switches that require things like

KexAlgorithms=diffie-hellman-group1-sha1,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1
        Ciphers aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,aes256-ctr,aes128-ctr

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
al...@netvel.net               ||