Thank for your the hint!

I think that the HTTPS redirect isn't working.

The curl --head $site gives me this:
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently

But it doesn't connect to port 443.

sudo netstat -ntupl | grep :443 doesn't show anything. Perhaps I am missing
a Listen 443 directive?

Similarly, if I hit the bare IP address I get the default virtual host, and
if I "lynx localhost" I see the same, so Apache and PHP are definitely in
play.