1. I use what I'm used to.  That's Fedora.

2. I don't plan ahead, so I just use the Fedora live installation medium

3. Your distro is probably as good as Fedora.

4. Yes, you can install to a USB drive and have that drive function as an
   emergency tool.  But I find that I don't use the emergency tool enough
   to be worth that investment in time.

   The main advantage is that you can make changes to the system and they
   persist.

6. What I miss on the Fedora live installation medium:
   - gparted
   - my private SSH keys
   - my notes files

7. My Fedora Live Installation stick has lots of free space.
   I've never figured out whether I could add a file-system to
   store persistent state.

8. There are systems to allow multiple installation images (.iso)
   to live on a single stick.  I haven't tried ventoy.