Hi Gerard,
I am replying to the Talks list as well as to you because I thought this topic
might be of interest to others. Modal dialogs presented dynamically by a web
page, like the Twitter.com keyboard shortcuts dialog, can be very tricky to
read with a screen reader. The Twitter team assigned an ARIA role of
alertdialog to this modal dialog. This is why Window-Eyes will read the entire
contents of the dialog automatically when it is displayed. Hearing the info
read automatically can be very helpful, but what if you want to go back and
review the commands one at a time. How would you go about doing this?
Often times, when a modal dialog opens, Browse Mode will be off and you might
not know exactly where focus is.  Even if focus does go to the dialog, pressing
Tab with Browse Mode off most likely won't help you get to the text because the
text probably isn't in a control or the Tab order. The solution is to find the
dialog content in Browse Mode. This is not always an easy task since you might
not know where the information is, what it contains or how it is marked up
(i.e. headings, tables, etc.).  Here is what I discovered. The Twitter keyboard
shortcuts dialog contains three tables. Each table has two columns, the first
for the key command, the second for the associated action. For example, N (key
command) and New Tweet (action). So, if you turn Browse Mode on and navigate to
the first table on the page, you should find the first group of keyboard
shortcuts in the modal dialog. Keep in mind you would first need to open the
dialog before you could find it in Browse Mode and y
 ou can only access the dialog by pressing Shift-Question Mark with Browse Mode
off. Please keep in mind that you might have to develop new strategies for
other websites since these types of dialogs can be implemented in many
different ways. I hope you find this information helpful.
Regards,
Marc