Hi Guys: This can be handled by having the root set file and not allowing a
user to modify it directly.
A user could override or extend it in another file but the root content
always remains the same.
When an update comes in it replaces the root file but if the design is good
anything in the user file will remain intact.
This is accomplished via what Microsoft calls partial classes for working in
some DataBase projects using strongly typed data sets.
To change a setting in the root file you would override that setting in your
partial file and when WindowEyes engine fires up it loads both into one file
that it uses during the runtime environment.
The only requirements are that any changes to the root file like brand new
settings or deprecated settings are handled in the users file but that is
still allot easier than ReCreating the file by modifying the AI2 version
from scratch and if you don't like your user file rename or delete it and
the factory settings in the AI2 version are loaded and used as usual.
You could even have several versions of your user files each handling a
single feature if you wanted to go that route or one for particular
operating systems or hardware configurations.
This may be able to be done now, don't know since I havent looked into it,
but it could be done for sure if AI2 implemented it.
Perhaps it could even be scripted.
If the root set file variables and names don't change often this would be a
way to maintain the custom user settings without limiting set file updates.
The other option would be to allow the user to pick which set files to use
and when a root file is updated that file might change but the user file
would be intact and the one used at runtime, perhaps that is how it now
works.
But this is a good question and one that has been addressed for many years
as distributed programs and data bases have been the norm to avoid stepping
on allowed user changes to configuration or settings files.There may be
others but I am aware of and used both of the above in other projects and
platforms.
Rick USA