From: Talk
[mailto:talk-bounces+jgrimsby=roadrunner....@lists.window-eyes.com] On
Behalf Of David via Talk
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 9:31 AM
To: Aaron Smith <asm...@aisquared.com>; Window-Eyes Discussion List
<talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
Subject: Re: Introducing Virtual View 5.0

Aaron, and the rest.
I have been using numerous keyboards up through the years, and as you
Aaron suggests, the PrintScreen usually is just right of F12, and on a
standard keyboard, that would make it the farmost left of the 3 keys
above the 6-pack. Yet, here is another issue.

On the laptop I have at the moment, a Dell, the 6-pack is located in the
far upper right corner of the keyboard. That is, the lower-left key, the
Del-key of the 6-pack, is immediately to the right of F12. There is no 3
keys above this 6-pack. Neither any other place on the keyboard. Some
suggested it could be where the App-key used to be, but nope, there we
only have the Right-Control key. So my guess is that it is located under
one of the other keys, likely in a combo with the FN-key.

Now moving on with my issue, I normally don't use the laptop's keyboard
much. Tend to use a wireless keyboard. It is more of a standard
design.And on this one, sure I have the 3 keys next to the F12. I now
have had it confirmed that the left of the three, indeed is the
PrintScreen-key. Thing is, that when I open the Keyboard-describer -
like you Aaron suggested - I can press this key a million times, and it
is not announced. Question 1 then, is PrintScreen supposed to be spoken
under the keyboard describer, and can others confirm that it so happen?

I further cannot get this key to do anything, in connection with the
Virtual View app, even if I press the Alt-PrintScreen inside a PDF file.
Question 2, what could be the case with the PrintScreen? Are all
PrintScreen-keys sending the same keycode, or are we once again into
some keyboards not producing the right key-command, like with some
numeric keypads on the market?

I am running a standard American version of Win7 Pro. The only thing
noticeable about the PrintScreen on my wireless keyboard, is that it
reads "PrintScreen" and underneath "Sys RQ". Don't know if that is the
standard label on a keyboard, as I do not have any reference keyboard at
hand. Further, running under WE8.4.

Although slightly off-topic, does anyone happen to know how to open the
keyboard-describer in NVDA? I then could check and see if NVDA
recognizes my PrintScreen key. Just trying to track down why it won't
have any impact on my Virtual View. Unless something is totally wrong on
my system, maybe  others are in the risk of experiencing similar issues,
and hence it would be useful for us to know.

Of course, one small tip for a solution that could be more taylored to
any keyboard on the market, is if you Aaron could have provided a hotkey
in the app, which simulated the Alt-PrintScreen. I know, this is not the
real good solution, but since I here see my laptop having the embedded
PrintScreen somehow hid, and likely in with an odd key-combo, and my
Wireless keyboard's PrintScreen does not produce the wanted result - it
might be worth considering. My next guess is, that the Alt-PrintScreen
may happen to be a frequently used combo, for many of the users. If not
all keyboards on the market would happen to have a PrintScreen - and yet
more have it so wrongly dug into some odd location - it only justifies
the normal rule, and would strongly back the idea of an app-specific
"simulation" hotkey.

On 11/5/2015 4:42 PM, Aaron Smith via Talk wrote:
> It can differ from keyboard to keyboard, but it's usually to the right of
F12. You can always enable the key describer (Insert-1), then start pressing
keys until you locate it.

> Thanks,
>
> Aaron

List archives can be found at