From: Talk [mailto:talk-bounces+cgrabowski=aisquared....@lists.window-eyes.com]
On Behalf Of Tom Fairhurst via Talk
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2015 5:29 PM
To: talk viaGW <t...@window-eyes.com>
Subject: Google Chrome--So Secure, So Fast, So Easy to Use! Bull!

I was trying to troubleshoot problems I am having with my church’s web site,
and they suggested I try Google Chrome. I did. In probing around, I found that
there are many checkboxes inChrome settings that Window-Eyes does not identify.
They are only checked or unchecked. Next I noticed that Chrome loaded at
start-up and Google Chrome was the default browser. No problem, so far.
However, Audible Manager told me that I need to close Chromium tab for it to
update. I then should press okay. I followed these instructions, but Audible
Manager never seemed to update. After a few days, I started getting a virus
alert from Esset Smart Security. It was one of their many alerts that one
cannot act upon before they leave the screen.
Thanks Esset. Then, I noticed that my home page was highjacked. Yes, the title
appeared to be the same. However, the number of links was different, and the
only edit box I could find was one asking me to enter my home phone number. My
next step was to try to remove Google Chrome Packages with Programs and
Features in Windows 7 Control Panel. I was graciously informed that I needed to
contact my administrator as I didn’t have sufficient authority to remove this.
Since I am the administrator, this doesn’t make sense except that Windows has
its own scheme of permissions and ownership that would confound a Yale
University think tank. Yes, I understand it is generally for the good of the
computer user, but its still baffling to figure out and sometimes hard to use
without sighted assistance. Suddenly, with a breath of fresh air, I decided to
use System Restore. I know you need to be careful or you may actually restore a
virus. However, it worked for me. I got rid of the recalcitrant Google Chrome
Packages. I got my home page back without the pernicious edit box asking me for
my home phone number. Now, please tell me why Google Chrome is so good! Sorry
for the long rant, but it hasn’t been a good week on the computer.