From: Talk
[mailto:talk-bounces+rod_hutton=hotmail....@lists.window-eyes.com] On Behalf
Of Steve Clower via Talk
Sent: March 1, 2016 4:35 AM
To: Tom Kingston <tom.kings...@charter.net>; Window-Eyes Discussion List
<talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
Subject: Re: Windows 10 start menu tutorial.

The official Window-Eyes tutorial on our website for free streaming and
download also goes over the Windows 10 start menu as well as a few other
important topics (like how to change the default browser to something which
isn't Edge).

<talk@lists.window-eyes.com> wrote:

> Press the Windows key.
> You should hear "Cortana, search box, edit."
>
> You can start typing the name of a program you wish to access. If it's
working correctly the choices should automatically be spoken. For example,
if you type "set" you should hear "Settings, Trusted Windows store app."
> If that's not what you want you should be able to continue typing or arrow
down through the list of suggestions and they should speak as you do so.
Press the Enter key to activate the highlighted item.
> If they don't automatically speak you can hit the Read line hot key after
each arrow key.

> This is a Windows bug. The folks at GW Micro (now AI Squared) can correct
me if I'm wrong, but it has been my impression for many years that their
policy is to try to get Microsoft to fix bugs first so they don't have to
spend the time doing it this week only to see it fixed in the next Windows
update. They already have enough workarounds to write for things that are
completely inaccessible let alone every inconvenience, which by the way,
sighted users have a fair share of as well.

> Okay. Sermon over. Let's access the start menu.
>
> Press the Windows key and do not enter any text in the search edit box.
> Arrow up once. You should land on the "All Apps" button. Press Enter or
Space bar to activate it.

> This will place you at the top of your programs list. On my system the
current entry is 3D Builder.
> You can arrow down through the list. Currently all items say unselected.
But whatever you are on is selected. Press Enter to activate it.

> There is no first letter jump to handling in this list. But there is an
alternative.

> From any entry in the list Tab once. You will land on a group list. For
instance, if I tab from 3D Builder I land on 0 - 9 group, and if I tab from
calender I land on C group.
> Arrow down or up to the group you want.
> Press Shift-Tab to return to the main list. You will be on the first item
in the group you selected. Arrow up or down as needed.

> Folders will say Program name folder collapsed, unselected, closed, e.g.
Window-Eyes folder, collapsed, unselected, closed.
> Press Enter to open the folder. It will say "Window-Eyes unselected,
expanded." Arrow down and up within that folder.
> To close that folder you must arrow back up to "Window-Eyes folder,
expanded" and press Enter to collapse it.
> If you collapse a folder you can then again arrow up and down the main
list.

> What about Windows apps?
> Press the Windows key, up arrow to the Apps button, and arrow right.
> Apps are in a grid and we currently have no indication to the amount of
apps present or the layout. But it is a simple row and column grid. So you
can simply arrow right or down until you hit the wall and nothing is voiced.
This will show you how many rows and columns there are.
> If you arrow left to the first column and then arrow left again you will
you may go back to the Apps button, the Power button, or the Account picture
button.
> By the way, I've never used that power button. From the desktop the old
fashioned Alt-F4 still works and gives you all the options, i.e. shutdown,
sleep, restart, etc.

> Whether you're on an app or a program the Application key or Shift-F10
will open a context menu with various options.

> There's probably something I've forgotten. But hopefully this will get you
started and more comfortable with the Windows 10 start menu. Yes, I went
into it kicking and screaming. But now that I know how to use it I don't
mind it at all. Although I am still hoping for quick letter jump to
handling. Perhaps one day.

> Regards,
> Tom

> List archives can be found at