First of all I am not sure where the idea of SMA for Window Eyes is cheaper than the SMA for JAWS. I had a choice of either paying fifty dollars for the newest Window Eyes of buying an SMA for two hundred dollars and getting the last update free. Window Eyes SMA is good for two versions. JAWS SMA for two versions is one hundred eighty dollars if you use citrix metaframe or one hundred twenty dollars for Home Version of JAWS which is good for two upgrades. Freedom Scientific has never said you pay for an upgrade between major versions or buy an SMA. An SMA for window eyes is two hundred dollars for two upgrades.

Second of all Window Eyes has gotten rid of what I thought two of the best features were. The first is the creation of set files and the second is to be able to use the Window Eyes mouse more proficiently.

Third JAWS runs more smoothly than does Window Eyes at this point. It can also start up in Windows 7 without messing up the video display and making the screen unseeable.

Fourth while there are still issues with Window Eyes crashing Explorer and other programs JAWS does not seem to have that issue.

Fifth I have been a Window Eyes user for better than ten years. I switched to it from JAWS and at that time was very pleased but since version 9 there seems to be more problems that do not get fixed. To avoid dealing with the crashes I did renew my JAWS to current.

Sixth As to tech support most of the time lately you get the same from either company. "It is your computer" Ok so sometimes that could be true but it is also an easy out.

Seventh It is fine to support a company but one also needs to be honest about things. Right now my number one recommendation would be NVDA. No screen reader will ever be perfect but when one pays for an SMA one should be able to expect improvements that can be noticed.

I can understand why the deal was made. It is indeed about profit for your products but maybe Window Eyes should never have had a free version. Maybe we should have seen at that time there would be other major changes that we might not like.

Hopefully both programs will be available so that a person can choose which problems they wish to deal with. So yes JAWS does have some issues but all screen readers always will