Ah yes, I remember the VersaBraille. Only used it briefly when I was six or so. I definitely remember it being bulky. Then there was the Opticon LOL.

-----Original Message----- From: CJ &AA MAY via Talk
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2016 12:47 PM
To: ukekearu...@valtdnet.com ; 'Window-Eyes Discussion List'
Subject: RE: Ranking Screen Readers In Windows10 Anniversary Update: TheResults Will Surprise You!

When I got a job as a Rehab. Worker in 1986  I think it was, I started with
a Versabraille. It was supposed to be portable but in truth was too bulky
and heavy to lug around. I stuck with that for about three years, so it was
probably about 1990 when I got my first computer which was DOS-based and
loaded with Word Perfect and Vocal-eyes.

When DOS was discontinued there were forecasts of doom and gloom for sight
impaired people as they said there would be no way that a blind person would
ever be able to use a Window-based computer with all its graphics etc.

And yet here we are, and although technology advances at an ever-alarming
pace, thanks to companies like G w Micro (or should I now say AI Squared?)
and Freedom Scientific, we have good access to the internet and most of the
commonly used programmes.

Personally I don't mourne the death of DOS but I can appreciate why some
might.

Alison

For membership options, visit http://lists.window-eyes.com/options.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com/bpeterson2000%40cableone.net. For subscription options, visit http://lists.window-eyes.com/listinfo.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com List archives can be found at http://lists.window-eyes.com/private.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com