I used JAWS from 1996 or so to 2007. For me the last straw came in college in 2007. At the time I was taking a Music Appreciation class and the instructor made all the assignments available as downloadable PDF files. This was all well and good except that JAWS, though it would read said documents, would read each line as one long word, meaning you had to arrow character by character if you wanted to figure out what the heck the question was. I was also having issues because while I do like Eloquence for its responsiveness I do have to take breaks from it occasionally. Unfortunately the only highish quality Sapi voices JAWS would work with were either the ScanSoft voices which are admittedly decent, or the AT&T Natural Voices which I don't care much for. BUt I also had NeoSpeach Kate and Paul which I bought with a Text Aloud license, and it was hard to get JAWS to work with those without crashing. You could restart JAWS after the crash and it would run fine with Kate or Paul until the next time you restarted your machine. That combined with the PDF issue rather effectively disillusioned me with JAWS, that and I'd never had the same quality of tech support I've had with AI Squared on the rare occasions when I've needed to use it. So in response to a friend's suggestion I downloaded a demo of WIndow-Eyes, I think this was back in the days of version 5. Anyway I found that not only would the NeoSpeach voices work I discovered that it read those PDF documents properly. Yeah I suppose I could have tinkered with JAWS to get it to do that but the fact that Window-Eyes did it without any tinkering whatsoever was what sold me. So after trying and failing to get my local Joke Rehab agency to pay or at least help me pay for a copy of WE I went with the payment plan and haven't regretted it since.

-----Original Message----- From: Sky Mundell via Talk
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 9:06 AM
To: 'Tony C' ; 'Window-Eyes Discussion List' ; 'Charles Short'
Subject: RE: ranking screen readers

Hi Tony. I agree with you about things that Window-Eyes will do that JAWS
can't do. For example, in 2005, MSN messenger 7.0 came out, and I was using
JAWS, and JAWS would not read the instant messages, etc. so then I
downloaded a demo of Window-Eyes. The first things I noticed was that
Window-Eyes read the messages and everything properly with no scripting, no
tinkering, etc. So, Window-Eyes blew JAWS away in that regard. I also can
remember a couple of things where Window-Eyes blew JAWS. For example, the
placemarker feature.