Hi Matthew:
Here are the steps to associate that set file with Thunderbird
1. Run Thunderbird.
2. Go to the Window-eyes control pannel.
3. Arrow down to Associations.
4. Since it is a pullddown menu, press the Right Arrow key to open it.
5. Arrow down to Current Association.
6. Tab once to Current Association and type in the set file name, in
this case, the Thunderbird set file.
7. Tab again and you will get to a Radio button with three options,
right the default is None.  Choose the option you want.
8.  Tab to OK and press the Enter key.
I hope this helps.

Kevin Huber