Hi David,
You can do this.  Place your cursor in the header row, i.e., a4.
If you have more than one row in the header, press shift and arrow down to include all header rows. I have a3 and a4, so I down arrow with shift once.
Press ctrl-alt-jawskey -c to label columns

For rows, select the row header you want spoken and press alt-cntrl-jawskey-r.

Save your file before closing it and your new settings should carry over each time you open the file.

Carol