I have no issue with jaws and ebay as you describe.

-----Original Message-----
From: Talk [mailto:talk-bounces+dennisl1982=gmail....@lists.window-eyes.com] On
Behalf Of David via Talk
Sent: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 3:11 PM
To: WE English Mailinglist
Cc: David
Subject: Firefox Update, as of May 2018

I was met by a message today, that there was a new update for my Firefox.

as you all will remember, last summer there was a good deal of chatting here on
the list, since the normal (standard) version of Firefox was changed, and no
longer useful for WE users.

The solution, that I along with many have been using, has been the ESR version
of the browser. And, that is the version I was prompted to update today. I
believe it stated to be version 52.7, or something like that.

I was, due to some other technical reason, running NVDA at the moment.
As the ESR version traditionally has been reliable for screen readers, I did
just accept the update, and anticipated going on with my browsing.
NVDA had no problem in handling the newly updated browser.

Shortly, I closed NVDA, and started WinEeys, ready to go into normal
activity. Great was my disappointment, when >I realized that the new
version on my system, seemed to display the same useless behavior under
WinEyes, as the standard version.

First thing you will notice, is that the screen reader no longer says:

     Program Main Window,

when launching the browser. You now will rather hear a message,
containing the phrase:

     Document Window.

And Wineyes does not recognize this "document window" as a browser
window, hence Browse Mode will not turn on. You will be able to tab
through the controls, and can click on them by hitting Enter. But you
will not be able to navigate anything outside the controls.

Since Firefox tends to update, even when you tell it not to, I am afraid
this might indicate the end of WinEyes altogether working with a
well-established favorite browser - among many a blind person.

My hope would be, that anyone could tell me that they have updated, and
experienced no trouble. But that hope is pretty thin. You might be able
to deny the update, for a few days or weeks, but sooner or later, you
are going to experience the browser simply updating itself, without your
contentment.

Sure, I have a backup of my browser folder, from a few weeks back, and
might reinstall it. But what good would that do, since it all will be
only temporarily, till it self-updates next time.

Too bad, they couldn't just leave at least one version of the browser
alone, with the old access method. If for no longer, why not letting it
alone, till they had solved the screen reader issue, that they have
promised us ever since the main version went bad for screen readers.

Then again, both NVDA and Jaws, do work with the new version. I even
checked the newly updated system here, with Jaws. It works, but only so
much. Jaws gets into big trouble, and has been there for ever so long as
I have had it, when the website is auto-updating. That means, things
like EBay, under Firefox and with Jaws - well, you'd better just forget
it. Jaws will continually jump back to the top of the page, just because
some tiny detail updates on the web. Besides, working with the Browse
Mode of Jaws, reminds me the old-style (close to a decade ago) features
we had under WinEyes, version pre-7. Strange they never had the idea of
updating their browser functionality. What is it really, that they
include in all the updates we are faced with, ever so often, when
running Jaws? No, I don't want to start a long discussion, just wondering.

Long message, will end here. Just wanted to let you all know my
experience of today. Hopefully, you might be able to abstain from
loosing your browser, for a few moments longer.