On Windows 10 control alt w does not solve the problem so far.  I am waiting for a friend to come and take a look.  However, very often using control alt w simply repeats the error.

as previously stated this is only happening on my desktop machine.  Perhaps my laptop is behind on updates, I just don't know.

Mike.