Many thanks to everyone for your help and if I find a solution, I'll let you know.

Best wishes

Mike.

On 11/08/2019 15:44, madl--- via Talk wrote:
When you press F2, does your PC says something like "this file is protected mode "?
Then you should hear something like "  to unprotect press F6". After pressing F6 you
should get a  drop menu and arrow donw  to get to unprotect.
These are the steps I  take when I  get a  file that is protected.  This work
for word, excel and any MS office files.
Good luck

Moe

-----Original Message-----
From: Talk <talk-bounces+madl=comcast....@lists.window-eyes.com> On Behalf Of
Mike via Talk
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 8:01 AM
To: madl--- via Talk <talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
Cc: Mike <kazej...@runbox.com>
Subject: Re: Reading cells and fields in xl

Hello

When I press f6 the only option I get is to allow editing, which doesn't work,
or close.

I've tried it several times but as soon as I press f2 I get the warning
about protected mode again.

Perhaps I am going about this in the wrong way.  All I want to do is to
be able to cursor across names and scores.  Unfortunately because names
are ocasionally spelt wrongly, searching for a name doesn't always
work.  Consequently, I have to tab and cursor until I can find the name
I want.  That is when I need to be able to read the name letter by
letter because I need to find it several more times.  The spread sheet
is the results from an acoustic shooting competition which has anything
from 60 to 100 competitors and each name will appear multiple times.

I hope that makes sense because it felt like a rant.

Best wishes

Mike.