On Dec 21, 2007 12:41 AM, Lambertus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Karl Newman wrote:
> > Actually, for the full-featured version that does everything with no
> > restrictions, it's USD2800... However, you can get free access to that
> > version online if you're willing to share your maps with the world.
> > It's at mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com The other complicating factor is that
> > there is currently no path from OSM data to cGPSMapper format. That's
> > a project I'm planning, but I need to get some key pieces in place
> > first. I actually rewrote the osmgarminmap XSLT stylesheet to
> > transform OSM data into routable cGPSMapper format, but xsltproc
> > chokes on even moderate-sized data (10 MB), so it's not usable.
> >
> > The other big factor is that there is no agreement on how to do
> > street/house numbers yet, so there's limited data in OSM anyway. I've
> > discussing the proposal on the Wiki recently and it's been a bit
> > frustrating because nobody seems to get my point.
> >
> I'm also working on creating Garmin maps (using Mkgmap). Mkgmap cannot
> create maps in the routable format so I'm looking also at cGPSMapper. I
> don't think the webservice is suitable for large scale routable map
> generation for OSM, so I'm trying to work out a solution that involves
> aquiring a full licence.
>
> Below is a rough idea:
> OSM, or a 3rd party (you, me?) setup a service that creates and
> distributes all sorts of Garmin maps (regular, topographic,
> cycle/outdoor centric, routable, etc.). This includes aquiring a full
> licence of cGPSMapper. Some maps could be free but others might require
> a donation or a subscription. The income generated by selling the more
> featured maps could be used to finance the license. Keeping the fees low
> should make the service attractive for lots of Garmin owners without
> driving them to create their own homebrew maps.

Interesting idea. I know mapcenter is not sufficient for a huge
project such as this, but it's good for free testing. My thinking is
in line with yours--I was thinking at some point OSM might acquire a
full license (note that the author has a reduced license cost for
charities--maybe OSM or OSMF might qualify?). I'm not sure I'm the guy
to be responsible for running it (I've already got a lot going on),
but I'm certainly willing to help set it up.

Karl