The original proposal has been open since July so I hope original proposer does
not mind me tightening up it in order to open formal voting 14th Jan.  I think
it will now meet all or most of the concerns raised.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Building

FYI, this tag is already being used extensively experimentally and is the
current featured image of the week. Where there is Yahoo imagery, I find it
great for characterising an area by tracing out just the important buildings.
Other examples:

Stockholm University:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=59.37034&lon=18.04943&zoom=16&layers=B0TT

Experiment using linear ways to show terraces (houses built side by side and
not very deep) in the north of England. Osmarender view only.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.90269&lon=-1.68778&zoom=17&layers=0BFT

Mike