On Jan 1, 2008 3:47 PM, Bruce Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I remember 7-Zip planets being provided in the past, what was the reason
> for removing them?

Nobody used them. (With a "handful" rounded down to "nobody")

One major issue is that people don't decompress the planet anymre, but
instead work on the compressed version directly. This means you need
libraries to read/write them programmatically. Does lzma have such a
library? Most scripts in SVN can handle GZ and BZ2 files direcly, but
who is volunteering to fix all the scripts to work with 7z?

Also, every linux system has bz2, but barely any have 7z, and I doubt
people are going to install a new compression program for just saving
a few bytes and losing a lot of functionality.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://svana.org/kleptog/