On Thu, January 24, 2008 12:46 am, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> Pieren Pieren wrote:
> | Could someone explain the tag highway=stop provided by the 'Map
> | Features' page ?
> | I would expect that all tags approved and moved to this "reference" page
>  | are clearly described.
> [snip]
> | Well, fine, the foot note on the wiki page explains that the main
> | description is a non-sens...
> | Shall we put the node on the way where the sign is, a little bit before
> | the intersection (and how much) ?  or is it planned to use a relation ?
> | or does it really help to tag such signs (I mean, it does not influence
> | routing) ?

[snip]

> | or should we remove this tag from the approved Map features and create
> a | proposal wiki page where a clear definition could be done ?
>

> We need a way to know where stop signs and give way (yield) signs are
> and which direction they face. It probably requires a relation between the
> node and the way they are on.

Does it require a relation, or just that the highway=stop be on a node a
short distance back from the shared node at the intersection (except on a
4-way stop where the node at the intersection could be highway=stop)?

I could make an argument that this scheme matches the physical world: the
ways are aligned on the centreline of the roads (maybe?) and the stop sign
is actually some distance back from the centreline of the road protected
by the stop sign (at least in the UK) - do any countries have stop signs
hanging above the centre of the intersection?

--
David James