one of the tag proposals i've been working on recently has got me
thinking about tagging composite items, and the best way to do it.

in the case of a large site, say a hospital, university or coalmine,
is there any consensus on how to collectively tag all the buildings,
sports fields, car parks, etc. so that they are marked individually as
whatever they are, but also identified as being part of a greater
whole?

for instance, say i ask for all the car parks near me, it would be
good for my routing software to tell me that there's one nearby, and
for it to implicitly know it's within the boundary of the hospital.

is this best done with relations, or is that over-complicating things.
can any part of osm work out all the areas a given point lies within?
this is subtly different to the problem of administrative boundaries
we were talking about recently as we generally can get good
information on the boundaries of entities like hospitals, etc.