On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 21:09 +0000, DavidD wrote:
> According to map features the value for the lanes key should be.
>
> "Number of travel lanes in each (or only permitted) direction"
>
> I've been tagging to this definition.
>
> "Number of travel lanes on the way"
>
> This makes more sense to me because you can tag two way single lane
> roads with lanes = 1. The map features definition on the other hand
> doesn't give an obvious way to tag these roads. lanes = 0.5 perhaps.
>
> I didn't pick up the lanes tag from map features but some other wiki
> page. I'm sure the wiki page defined the lanes key similarly to my
> definition. Unfortunately I know can't find that wiki page to check.
>
> Was the lanes tag added to map features wrongly?

While thinking about the many roads up here that are single tracked,
it'd be quite useful to be able to map them properly. The result was
passing places [0]. I am under the impression that lanes=1 means 1 lane
each way, but this makes these roads impossible. I'd quite like another
tag, such as narrow=true (or something non-boolean) which would mean the
lanes number is number of lanes overall as opposed to in either
direction.

[0]http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Passing_places
--
Bruce Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>