On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Rodrigo Moya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 10:55 +0000, Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
>  > Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>  > >Sent: 18 March 2008 10:49 AM
>  > >To: Blake Crosby
>  > >Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
>  > >Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Tourist/Leisure Trails
>  > >
>  > >On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 14:33 -0400, Blake Crosby wrote:
>  > >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  > >> > Hi all,
>  > >> > There is already a page in the wiki for trails
>  > >> > (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Trail), but
>  > >this
>  > >> > is really just tagging a way with permitted usage (such as footpath,
>  > >> > cyclepath, etc.).
>  > >> >
>  > >> > Is there any way of marking a 'trail', where a marked route which may
>  > >> > exist on other ways in part or as a whole?
>  > >>
>  > >> I think following the current bus route tagging scheme might be a good
>  > >> start? A "trail" or "walking route" is no different than a cycling route
>  > >> and bus route..
>  > >>
>  > >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:route
>  > >>
>  > >I miss in the route key a way for "Gran Recorrido" ("Big distance")
>  > >routes here in Spain, which are routes which cover several kms, off road
>  > >most of the time, but which use footways, normal tracks (where motor
>  > >vehicles are allowed), some roads, etc.
>  > >
>  > >So how would I tag this? Does the route need to be its own way, or
>  > >should we just tag the roads/footways/tracks the route uses with the
>  > >route tag?
>  >
>  > I've tagged some in UK as route=long_distance_footpath as that's what they
>  > are commonly referred to here. You could also add a specific
>  > gran_recorrido=true or long_distance_footpath=gran_recorrido tag to achieve
>  > something similar that's country specific as well.
>  >
>  well, this wouldn't work really, since as I said, it is not a footpath,
>  it's a route going over "existing" tracks/roads/cities, which means that
>  lots of parts of the route can be used on a motor vehicle.

It really doesn't matter that the way isn't itself a footpath. It's
the route which is a walking route. Terms like long_distance_route
don't make much sense as it doesn't tell you what it's meant for,
whereas long_distance_footpath tells you that you probably shouldn't
try to follow the route in a Ferrari, even if in certain parts you
could get away with it.