Hi David,

David Ebling wrote:
> Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me - I want
> to make a Garmin .IMG file of the whole of cumbria
> that includes NASA SRTM data, as the IMG files from
> here do: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm but i'd
> also like to have OSM road, footpath, cycle path etc
> data on there too. The Garmin unit i'm trying to use
> it on is a 60Csx, which doesn't seem able to display
> more than one map for an area at a time, so i'm not
> able to have the SRTM data in one map file and the
> OSM/MapSource data in another, and show both at once.

Are you sure? I use eTrex Vista, which is a cheaper model than 60csx and
I use OSM data + separate contours without problems. The order of
unit, contours maps should be at the end of the list). And I think
certain maps have some sort of "transparency" setting turned on, and
some do not, but I'm not sure. I use contours which were generated with
DEM2TOPO tool (I didn't do this myself).
> Can anyone help with this? I would like to do the same
> for the south downs area too once I've worked out how
> to do this?
>
> I'm not hugely familiar with the more technical
> aspects of this, and am working on windows. I am
> pretty computer literate though.

Check out http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Srtm2Osm#Categorizing_Contours_For_Mkgmap.

Igor