Martin Vidner <martin.osm <at> vidner.net> writes:

> Make the prefixes "left:", "right:" special in the sense that when a
> way is reversed, they get swapped.
> So left:highway=bus_stop would become right:highway=bus_stop.
> (Uh, maybe this is awkward for the renderer implementation. Could be
> better to prefix the *value* instead: highway=left:bus_stop?)

It seems to me that you could define the two sides of a way independent of the
direction (if any) of the way. I'm just not sure what you would call the two
sides.

For example, lets start with "north" and "south". This would unambiguously
define the two sides for all ways that are not running directly (or close to)
north-south. "East" and "west" would work for those of course, but we want the
same name no matter what the angle of the road.

Maybe you could use "clockwise" and "anticlockwise" to define the side of that
portion of the road you would get if you rotated it in that direction.

So what I am basically getting at is that you don't need to define the side of
the road based on the way direction, as it can be defined by the compass points,
I'm just not sure what the two labels would be. Maybe "north-or-east" and
"south-or-west" shortened to "noe" and "sow" could work if everything was
clearly defined on the wiki.

- David