On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 19:57 +0100, Dermot McNally wrote:
> On 18/04/2008, Jon Burgess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > >From a purely functional perspective this approach seems to work. The
> >  screenshot below shows what happens if you ask for the motorways in
> >  Ireland to be rendered in purple:
> >
> >  http://tile.openstreetmap.org/direct/country-mways-example.png
> >
> >  The motorways in England and Northern Ireland still render in the
> >  default blue.
>
> So does the most northerly section of the M1 motorway in the Republic
> of Ireland, a good 20km away from where that road actually crosses the
> border. So while that's a nifty illustration, it shows that the
> boundary information will need to get a lot better before we can rely
> on it in all cases.
>
> Dermot

That could have been due to a couple of things:-
- not using the correct projection on the boundary polygons I imported
- not trying to do anything to account for ways which crossed over a
border. PostGIS can generate clipped geometries while doing the
processing but I did not try this [1].
- or errors in the the boundary (from vmap0).

Thanks for pointing it out anyway.

        Jon

[1] http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html#id2677901