On 01/05/2008 13:11, Dan Karran wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:44 AM, David Earl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  It's usually POIs affected, and it is usually just variations in names
>>  rather than completely different names (when you would probably want
>>  them rendered anyway). Occasionally though street names also have this
>>  problem. Consider one I came across recently: signs say "Long Horse
>>  Croft". You can imagine someone might search for "Longhorse Croft"
>>  (especially as that's how the district council list it on their refuse
>>  collection days list).
>
> What should happen in situations where different names are used in
> different contexts? I can think of at least one example on the Isle of
> Man where the B39 Corlea Road ([1], and in post office database) is
> also known as the Ronague Road [2], the Solomons Corner to Ronague
> Road [3], and on the road sign on the ground as the Road of the Grey
> Hill (or in Manx Bayr Yn Chor Lheeah).
>
> Presumably the main name is the one on the ground (despite not being
> referenced in any official documents available online), and each of
> the others should be referred to in an alt_name tag?

I'd have thought it depends what you want to appear where. If you want
it to appear in all the forms on the map, then I guess you'd put both
in the name (like I did here maybe:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.17627&lon=-0.03335&zoom=17&layers=B0FT
), but if you only want one of them to appear but the others to be
located by searching, you could use alt_name. "Bayr Yn Chor Lheeah"
would go under name:gv presumably.

David