Hello,

I'm quite curious if there is already a possibility to generate a street
directory for a part of the OSM data in order to have a useful street
map of a city. Is it? I've looked a bit but I didn't find something.

If there is no such a program I'll going to program it. My idea is to
define a grid on a rectangle part of the OSM data (a city for example).
Then, with giving every box in the grid a tag (like on chess board),
just parse the OSM data and assign streets which are lying
geographically in a certain box to the tag of that box. As an
application, this directory could be printed next to a map. On that map,
sure, a layer with the grid must be printed.

What do you think?

cheers,
Stefan