Steve Hill schrieb:

> JOSM handles overlapping objects reasonably well (using the middle-click
> menu).

Relying on middle-click only is bad for those using a 1-button mouse.
Invoking a context menue works for me if I hold ctrl and click.  But
this won't work in JOSM...

Thus I vote to emulate the middle-click along these lines:
first select the object(s) and then simply press 'i'.

> If you need to separate the ways you can add a new node to each
> way individually and then delete the shared node - could be neater, but
> it isn't bad.

This never worked for me.  I always must resort to potlatch for
such actions.

--
Karl Eichwalder