in the italian mailing list we are facing new (and some old) users
arguing should be better to enter in the name tag the collapsed form of
the name.

I'm trying to persuade this people this is the wrong way 'cause don't
exist any way to explode names collapsed.

I'm proposing to add 2 extension to the name tag to mark which part of
the name could be collapsed or hidden
in the same moment you could give a priority

e.g.

exploded form: Viale don Luigi Sturzo
first: V.le don Luigi Sturzo
2nd: V.le Luigi Sturzo
3rd: V.le L. Sturzo

so
name=Viale don Luigi Sturzo
name:collapsable=1;3
name=hide=2

so...
you are adding tips usefull to renderes about which part of the name
collapse or hide but it's not a mandatory collapsation
If you are the coder of a renderer you can chose to hide befor collapse
or collapse before hide..

Let me know it make sense or not..

Edoardo

--