And what happens if a civil servant uses Google Maps to place the street name
signs? Then the real world becomes a google-maps-derived work, doesnt it?

Lucas

________________________________

De: [EMAIL PROTECTED] en nombre de Anselm Hook
Enviado el: mar 05/08/2008 18:31
Para: talk@openstreetmap.org
Asunto: Re: [OSM-talk] Australia has Google Street View!

And using contacts or glasses is a derived work too...  the vendor could have
twisted the photons to inject 'lye' street into your vision.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Matthias Julius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Stephen Gower <socks-openstreetmap.org
<http://socks-openstreetmap.org/> @earth.li <http://earth.li/> > writes:

        > On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 10:36:14AM +0200, Erik Johansson wrote:
        >> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Stefan Holst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

        >> > Interesting question. Are we allowed to use street view images
[...]
        >> [...]
        >> And since they are facts and not *indexed* in a database so it
should be ok.

        > That argument surely applies to aerial images also, and yet consensus
is
        > that getting facts from them would create a derived work incompatible
with
        > our licence.

        Well, if reading a road sign from a picture is creating a derived work
        of that picture than looking up a word in a dictionary also creates a
        derived work of that dictionary.

        Matthias

anselm 415 215 4856 http://hook.org <http://hook.org/>  http://makerlab.com
<http://makerlab.com/>  http://meedan.net <http://meedan.net/>