Tom Hughes wrote:

> It was "approved" on the basis of a tiny vote on the wiki and I would

Uh, what?  34 votes is one of the largest votes of any proposed/approved
feature on the wiki.

> say there is zero chance of most people switching from the tags that
> have been in use for several years to some new scheme that, as I
> understand it, requires about five tags for each path.

Then I think you misunderstand it.

Take a look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:highway%3Dpath/Examples --
most require two tags at most.  The only one which reaches five
additional tags is the last one.  Which doesn't fit into the
bridleway/cycleway/footway paradigm anyway, and is one of the most
complex examples to be found.

You don't like highway=path, fine.  If your tagging needs are met by
bridleway/cycleway/footway, then I'm glad for you.  But it's not
adequate for all situations.

Don't make up bullshit just to trash-talk that which you don't understand.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"