John McKerrell wrote:
> Funnily enough, that link you sent through should actually work and do
> exactly what you want, I'm not sure why it didn't. This one does:
>
> http://openstreetmap.org/?mlat=-36.88887&mlon=174.75006&zoom=15&layers=0B0FTF&lat=-36.88822&lon=174.7553
>

> I don't think there's a simple way to create those links other than just
> recentering the map where you want the marker, clicking on permalink and
> then putting "m" in front of the lat/lon parameters.

thanks for the help, tom and john. the link i sent was actually a guess,
didn't realise i'd hit on the right syntax

it didn't show, cos the marker was off the visible area

what i actually was driving towards, but explained badly, was a button
that anyone could click at the edge of the map, then anywhere on the map
to place the marker. i suggested this rather than adding numbers to the
url, as the latter is probably beyond the average users of the map - if
not in technical skills, then at least in patience

i'm sure there must be way to do this without mangling urls?