Frederik Ramm wrote:
> .... which can be fixed at a later time, if desired.

How? Say 100 different mappers are using a particular tag - 50 one way,
50 another way. How do you fix this "at a later time" without going back
to the places on the map and working out which of the two possible
situations is the one tagged, or asking all 100 mappers what they were
doing?

This is the point. Tags have insufficient semantic value in and of
themselves. You need something which explains what each tag is for and
when it should be used.

> Trying to create
> rules upfront runs a high risk of being impractical.

Which is why we create rules as we go along.

"Creating rules up front" vs. "Having no rules" is a false choice.

> And frankly, if our
> mappers' creativity leads to two or three different ways of tagging the
> same thing (but at least it gets mapped well), what's the big deal?

The big problem is the reverse, when you have one way of tagging two or
three different things. (See above.)

Gerv