Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Gustav Foseid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> Hi Can anyone provide a permalink to an example of a lake that uses the
>>> multipolygon relation to handle islands? I remember having a link to such an
>>> example a while ago but I seem to have lost it.
>>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=59.882&lon=10.83435&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> I don't tag islands in the middle of lakes like that, I just use
> coastline without a relation. Where can I read about the advantages of
> doing it this way?

There were a lot of (lengthy) discussions about it on this list. I guess
the main advantage is that you specify a lake more precisely in physical
terms - it consists of water and islands inside the lake. Just using
higher layer tags for island is more of a hint for rendering software
and does not specify any relation between the lake and its islands.

Igor