Matias D'Ambrosio wrote:
>Sent: 14 October 2008 6:24 PM
>To: talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Yet another street number scheme
>
>On Tuesday 14 October 2008 14:17:43 Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
>> Karl Newman wrote:
>> >That's not really true, because there are devices (such as Garmin GPS
>> >receivers) on which we would like to use OSM data, which need address
>> >numbers in a compact format with interpolation rules. Trying to reverse-
>> >engineer the scheme (odd, even, both, etc.) from single nodes that
>aren't
>> >even part of the way is nigh-impossible, or at the least, wastefully
>> >compute-intesive and error-prone.
>>
>> However, houses are not part of the road network, so the house number
>node
>> should not be part of the highway, that would be tagging for the Garmin
>or
>> whatever. The house numbers need to go on the houses (or the object
>> representing them).
> That might be so in some places. In my country, the numbers belong to the
>street, and buildings and other things are associated to the street. It's
>very common for us to say something is at "Sesame Street 2100" to indicate
>block side (is there an english word for 'block side'?). The only reason a
>house has an address Sesame Street 2142 is because it's located in the
>Sesame
>Street 2100 block. That's why my scheme is so focused in Argentina's
>system,
>no system will cover all possibilities.

I understand what you are saying and also accept that if you find a way that
works for you well in Argentina then go for it. Having said that I still
think the block relates to the block of land (on which the buildings are
built) alongside the specific street, not the street itself. Yes, the block
has a direct relationship with the street (hence the discussion about using
a relation) but its not an attribute to the highway itself.

But anyway, enough from me on this. Just hope you find something that works
well in Argentina :-)

Cheers

Andy