Hi folks,

Until fairly recently, Map Features listed a set of proposed
denomination tag values for common world religions. That list included
"catholic". I see that it has now been updated to also include
"roman_catholic". The new "roman_catholic" option carries a mention of
its common usage in Germany, and indeed there has been a recent
discussion on the German list about the denomination tag and its most
effective use within Germany.

At this point, "catholic" and "roman_catholic" are another case of
different tags referring to the same thing. I personally have no
strong feeling which is the better tag - I had been using "catholic"
due to its inclusion in Map Features and JOSM presets. That said,
"roman_catholic", while longer, does remove an ambiguity, given that
anglican churches (some, at least) are also catholic, though not Roman
Catholic. But we should be able to settle on one designation and there
is benefit in doing so, while there are fewer cases that will need
retagging.

Anybody got strong opinions on which value is preferable? Or even a
reason why there is value in maintaining two separate values?

Dermot