Steve:

I disagree with your opinion. So do _many_ others.

I think OSM would be vastly improved by being more open and free. I
think our maps would be improved with more mapping and less lawyering.

However, this is not the place for that argument. That argument's
place is the legal-talk mailing list.

Anyone interested in reading the relevant discussions can read the archives:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2008-October/thread.html#1532
or join the legal-talk mailing list properly:

-J